Sunday, November 2, 2008

Recapping our trip to Cali!

Earlier this month we made a quick trip to California to visit Dan's Grandma. She is 91, living alone in Downey, CA and gets lonely so it was nice for all of us to spend time together. Hopefully we didn't overwhelm her but we sure did enjoy her! Dan was awesome and spoiled us all by cooking all the meals. They sure were delicious! We always love going to Grandma's house to see the beautiful flowers in bloom, the orange and lemon tree loaded and of course the Klondikes and Bear Claws she has waiting in her freezer just for Dan! This was her first time meeting Emmett and they got along perfectly. He gave her lots of good smiles and she even got to snuggle him a few times. Lydia loved bringing Grandma flowers from her yard and putting them in vases (cups and water bottles!)she also loved playing with Grandma's toys which are the same toys that Dan would come play with as a kid. Grandma has a cute little red play house in the back yard and I wish I would have taken a picture of it. Lydia kept wanting to play pretend that we are going on a vacation. She would call Grandma's house California and the play house "Saint Utah!" I think she was going for St.George, Utah but I thought "St.Utah" was pretty darn cute! This next picture is Dan and Lydia on the Pier at Huntington Beach. It wouldn't be a complete trip to Cali if we didn't stop at Ruby's Diner out on the Pier. Dan and I first went to Ruby's Diner for breakfast on our honey moon and we've been sure to stop by every time since. It is the cutest little restaurant at the end of the Pier. All decked out in surf and fifties diner style. Even the cooks and waitresses dress fifties style which makes for a fun atmosphere. Lydia especially loved the kids menu that turns into a car! Last time she was at Ruby's Lydia was only 10 months old. We went for dinner with our dear friends Mutt & Karlee Hall. We had all hooked up in Cali for the Clinical Pharmacy Conference and spent a couple hours together at the beach. Unfortunately Dan spent half of dinner in the bathroom trying to clean up a major baby blow out. When the diaper change had seemed to be taking an extra long time I went up the stairs to the bathroom to see what could be taking so long. When I called Dan's name I was shocked by him opening the men's room door and passing me a naked baby with a rather flustered look on his face! Now that's a memory we'll never forget! Emmett's first trip to the beach and lunch at the diner went much more smoothly and was very enjoyable. It was a gorgeous day but a little chilly due to the wind. That didn't stop Lydia from playing in the sand and wading in the water. Here are a few more photos from our fantastic vacation to California. We loved it all, especially time to chat with and hear stories about Grandma. We love you Grandma Brockman!

5 comments:

Sleepless In St. George said...

fun trip...cute kids...my grandma lived in Downy until she passed away when I was in high school. So many fun memories visiting her there!

Karen and John said...

That looked like such a fun trip! Lydia looks like she is made to be a beach babe, those were the cutest pictures.

mama cow said...

Hey I was just browsing your sidebar and noticed that you know the Elggrens. They were in our ward before they moved. It was really funny to see pictures of Jessie at one of their birthday parties! Small small world!

Anonymous said...

Love love the pictures...beach pictures are so fun! What a cute little grandma...and how nice of you guys to make the visit. I bet she just loved having you there!

Elijah said...

Sounds like a blast. Your kids are CUTE! A couple observations- in one of the pictures Dan's legs look: A)...pretty ripped, "he must work out" (all that biking I guess), and B) like they really needed that California sun! ...and C) uh, not that I'm checking out Dan's legs or anything, I just happened to notice. :)