Sunday, November 9, 2008

Tis the Season - Hunting, that is!

You might be from Utah if . . .
Your kids believe the deer hunt is a national holiday.
or
Schools stay open, even if two feet of snow falls overnight, but closes for the opening of hunting season!
I remember hearing these jokes and thinking they were funny but it wasn't until I moved to St.George, Utah that I realized they were true! Hunting is a way of life here and I don't think I will ever understand it. The dominance of BIG Trucks here complete with antler decals is shocking. Most of them are pictures of deer or elk (I have a hard time telling the difference) with huge antlers but some of them have humorous sayings attached to them. For example: "If it flies . . . it dies," or "Men Love Me, Fish(Deer) Fear Me." Then there's my favorite in big letters between two huge 5 point Deer it says "BAD BOYS!" No joke, I'm not making these up, I've actually seen them on the back windows of big trucks around town. I don't think the people who drive them think they are funny but I think they are hilarious!

Now you have to understand that I married into a family of hunters so I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them. They just get their kicks in different ways than I do! This last year Dan didn't know when the deadline was to put in for the draw so he missed it and according to his brother's reaction you would have thought he was the black sheep of the family! It has actually made for a lot of fun in the family. I love to tease my brother-in-law, Mike, about the huge Elk head hanging above his fireplace. I sincerely used to be afraid to look at it because no matter where you stand in the room it is looking at you. I also used to have fears of it falling off the wall and smashing the people beneath it. They tease me too because once when they returned from a deer hunt I said, "Did you catch a deer?" I guess I should have saved the "catch" question for their fishing trip to Alaska! Although I give them a hard time I am happy that they actually eat the meat they kill. They make some pretty good meals with it and I'm sure their freezers are filled with food storage! In all honesty The Riding boys love it but I think more than hunting the animals they enjoy riding around on horses with each other and just being in the outdoors together. You know the whole male bonding thing! I have to say that I am happy none of them sport around decals on their trucks and believe me there will NEVER be an animal head hanging from my walls!

One day last month I went to a meeting on a Saturday morning and when I came home this is how Dan had dressed Emmett! Camo & Orange! I'm specifically posting these pictures for Grandpa Riding who is on a mission in Guam and I know he's really missing being home riding his horse with his boys, especially during hunting season. We love you Grandpa! I think we got the best "catch," this little guy is the cutest "dear" of the season!

5 comments:

Kyle/Michelle said...

I totally know what you are talking about (getting school off for huntin). That's all I knew growing up. So funnY! Cute little hunter Emmett!!

Bundy Family said...

I don't see my husband from August to November because of hunting. I don't get the same thrill as he does but I enjoy the time I spend with him during the hunts.

Cheryl said...

How crazy! I'm with you on it being a totally different world. I'm starting to understand it a little bit as my sisters husband is definitely into the whole hunting thing.
Yes, it is our last year in Hershey. We will be heading to Virginia next for a one year fellowship. Oh, and I hear your sister and Ryan's date has turned into more than just one date. I can't believe how small the world is sometimes. Miss ya. Heather came over to play yesterday and of course you came up in conversation.

Natalie said...

I love it that is so great. Chris and his brothers climb mountains for their male bonding. I wonder which is more dangerous? Your little guys is getting so big and what a cutey!

Chixon said...

Cassie,

I too come from a family with a long history of hunting. My grandpa has a 10 point buck hanging in his living room-the crown jewel of the home. My dad used to have two 7 point bucks hanging in the living room. One thanksgiving my dad left to go hunting in the morning while my mom did all the cooking. Then he didn't get back until late with a bloody deer in the back on their new car. That was the thanksgiving my mom broke my dads glasses. So don't worry it could be worse. I used to love hunting with my Dad and Brothers and my mom never understood it either. My dad has stopped hunting so in the end my mom won. haha