Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History in the Making - Where do you Stand?

44th President of the United States of America How can I not comment on the historic events of today? One week ago I cast my ballot at an early voting poll and suddenly realized that regardless of how the vote ended up, history was going to be made. A victory for one ticket would have given the United States its oldest first-term president (McCain, who is 72) and first female vice president (Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin). The other would see the first African-American (Obama) moving into the White House and the first Roman Catholic (Senator Biden) to win the vice presidency. It also marks the first time two sitting senators rally for the position of President and interestingly both candidates were born outside the continental U.S. Obama was born in Hawaii, and McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone.

Naturally I have followed this election more closely than any before. It required more sincere investment of time and reflection as I decided where to cast my vote. I was also keeping a strong interest and eye on the outcome of Prop 8 in California.

Last night as fate would have it history was made. Obama was named our 44th President and there will once again be children in the White House. In Chicago's Grant Park he said: "The road ahead will be long," he said. "Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America — I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you: We, as a people, will get there."

I too am hopeful and I too recognize that although my candidate for President didn't win, we as a nation have a president to support. We as individuals have a responsibility to do our best in our own homes and communities. We first must strengthen our homes and families. I fully believe that the Family is the Fundamental Unit of Society. If we want our nation to succeed than we must first be focusing on succeeding as a family. If we are strong in the core than we can become strong citizens, strong communities and a strong nation. Yes, the president is a powerful position but he can not be responsible for everything that takes place in this country. It is us as citizens who can strengthen this great nation. "Never underestimate the power of a small group of people to change the world. In fact, it's the only way it ever has." -Margaret Mead

In addition to the national historic headlines, Californians passed Proposition 8 as of 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning with 72 percent of precincts reporting. Prop. 8 passed with 52.2 percent. It will amend the state Constitution to only recognize marriage between a man and a woman. I support this proposition and feel that it is critical in protecting and strengthening the core values of family in this nation. Having said this does not make me an intolerant or unfeeling citizen. It makes me an American who values the institution of the family designed by God. I hold true to my beliefs and as I do so I still love and treat all people regardless of their faith and beliefs the same. I know this quickly becomes a controversial topic but it doesn't need to be. My sister wrote a fantastic statement and I've asked for her permission to share it with you. I'll post it below to conclude this blog. As for History I am grateful to be living in this great nation of AMERICA where History can be made and change can be accepted and I can Stand, Proud to be an AMERICAN!


The Tyranny of Tolerance
Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Emily Ann Bush

I've been feeling troubled lately. It's this unsettled storm that is always at the back of my mind, quickly brought to the foreground by trigger words like elections, debt, and strangely…tolerance. I've spent 7 months of my life this year living outside my comfort zone, braving new countries by attempting to speak foreign tongues and adopt customs born of traditions hundreds of years old. I loved my experiences abroad and will eagerly pursue more of these tremendous experiences in the future. Yet after each adventure, the call of Home has burned my throat and pricked my eyes. Loyalty and love for this great country and the freedoms for which she stands abounded and the moment my flights touched down on American soil I breathed a sigh of contentment.
Sadly, my euphoric visions of peace and morality of four short weeks ago were not to last beyond an hour drive home from the where I was updated on the current economic crisis and our less-than-desirable candidates for the most influential position of leadership in our Nation. In India and Mexico I had witnessed on several occasions the corrupt state of local and national government and pitied the citizens of those countries who felt helpless in the face of so much adversity to progression. My pride for our Nation's freedoms swelled in my breast as well as earnest prayers of gratitude to God for blessing us so abundantly with peace and prosperity. I felt a keen desire to help those in less fortunate circumstances – to extend the blessings I had been given by my own two hands.

Four weeks later I am feeling slightly intimidated by the tremendous needs for courage and strength I will need to stand strong and attempt to make my voice heard here at home, in a country of liberty and prosperity where I am now the subject of persecution for my beliefs. How could this happen? When did the United States of America adopt immorality as its banner and "Anything Goes" as its motto? Where did this one-way tolerance come from?

I grew up in a home with a loving mother and father who taught me to respect others and treat them with Christ-like kindness no matter what there beliefs, race or situation in life. My father being a professional psychologist, having experience dealing with people with vastly different lifestyles than my own, I was taught to always look beyond behavior and strive to love the individual. I will never treat someone with blind prejudices, but I will not be made to accept practices and beliefs that I do not morally agree with. Why is it that someone who does not believe in God can be respected for that belief, but my avid faith in a Heavenly Father who loves and cares for each of us is mocked and viewed as close minded? I could not nor would not criticize another for their atheism, so what gives others the right to belittle my views?

I am in support for Proposition 8 and any other legal action that will work to keep the wholesome foundations and morals of this country alive! I am in support of a traditional family, consisting of a husband and a wife who are both biologically and psychologically prepared to bring children of God into a committed relationship and safe home. I am tired of seeing the rampant immorality of my peers at the university, in the cities of the United States and throughout the world. And I am tired of being silent! I am tired of having to hide my faith in the face of an intolerant beast plastered with the name "TOLERANCE" across its chest while roaring lies about equality and acceptance. The tolerance you preach, in the words of Elder Bednard, is a "tyranny of one-sided tolerance" that does not extend the same courtesy to anyone outside of your beliefs. I for one, will no longer be a fence-sitter and stand by idle to watch the future for our children and grandchildren become a pernicious and lethal battlefield of immorality where one can only hope to struggle by unwounded. I will not be a part of this pop culture where virtue has become old fashioned and antiquated. I choose to stand.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Yes- BRAVO!

Anonymous said...

all of the was very thought provoking and great! Loved it all...thanks for sharing!

Karen and John said...

Wow!! I am so glad that you and Emily took the time to write about your thoughts, it really uplifted me to stand a little taller for what I believe in. Thank you!!

McMurtrey said...

This was very inspiring and so true, though I feel that the country will fall and that the only way and individual can survive is to have a strong family! I also am wondering where is the captain Moroni to come and clean up the politics in this country for both sides are corrupt!

Burke and Emily Adams said...

Thank you for your thoughts Cassie Jo and for sharing mine on your blog as well. Last night we prayed as a family for President Obama and it just felt...right. He might not have been my ideal candidate either, but now that he is in office I agree with you, we must be as supportive as possible.

The Bowlers said...

Hi Cassie, It's Angie from your ward. Thanks for your thoughts on the election, and the changing times. I agree that the family is the number one thing this country needs to survive. I also don't agree with how it turned out, but I still think we need to respect who's in there, and have faith in the Lord that he will guide him and us as well.

The Bowlers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Telsha Winger & fam said...

Thanks Cassie. I think that it is so important to be a strong citizen as well. I sometimes fall short. But I so appreciate what you wrote. Thanks for being such an example to me in all you do. Your amazing what more can I say?