Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A First For Everything!

In January Lydia left the Nursery at Church and started attending the Primary. She absolutely loves being in the Sunbeam class and is probably the most obedient well behaved sunbeam around! Her teacher raves about her good behavior and her music teacher (who is also our next door neighbor) can't get enough of how sweet she is to always pay attention and try so hard to sing all the songs right!

Earlier this month they had a primary activity day where they met on a Saturday and took the kids to the St.George Temple Visitor's Center and then to the park for play and a picnic afterward.
 
Lydia loved every minute of it and now whenever we go to a park she begs to go to the primary activity park!

Two weeks ago Lydia came home from church with a little sticker saying she'd been asked to give the scripture and prayer the following week in Primary. It was Luke 1:70 and we put the sticker up on the refrigerator so we wouldn't forget. Well it's a good thing we put it there because I forgot about it until she pointed to it towards then end of the week and realized I'd better have her go over it a couple times so she wouldn't be nervous to get up there on Sunday. That night before bed we read it as her scriptures for the night and talked about what it meant. She had me read it a couple times and then she repeated me as I read it. The next morning she said, "Mom I need to practice Luke chapter 1 verse 70!" I was very impressed that she remembered the scripture number and said sure. The weekend got busy and the Saturday night before I asked if she'd like to practice to which she rattled it all off almost perfect! I couldn't believe it and only wish I had that kind of memory!

Well Sunday came and when it was time for Primary Dan and I were sitting in the back of the room when in walked Lydia reverent as can be with her arms folded and so excited to see us there. The Primary Secretary came and asked Lydia if she'd like to sit up front to which she replied, "No Thank You!" I guess we didn't prep her for that part. Instead she stayed sitting with the Sunbeams and when they told her it was time for the scripture she jumped off her chair and walking with a purpose bounced right over to the pulpit. She pulled the microphone right to her mouth and said, "Luke Chapter 1 verse 70. As he (s)pake by the mouf(th) of his holy prophets,(then she looked at me for reasurance with the next word) which have been since the world began." All the kids in the primary had stunned looks as they were super impressed that a sunbeam had her scripture memorized! Lydia had a smile ear to ear as she bounced back to her seat and I had a tear in my eye as I gave her a two thumbs up sign. I know I am ridiculous. My child gives her first scripture in primary and I'm getting teary eyed. I was just so proud of her! I think I'm going to be a mess when she goes to her first day of Kindergarten!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Your family is so awesome! I miss you guys. I can't believe Lydia is a Sunbeam. Hannah is too, only she is a young, rowdy one. I wish Lydia was here to help her learn! I think that's awesome she memorized the scripture, I can just see everyones reactions!

Telsha Winger & fam said...

So cute! What an amazing sweet girl she is and what an awesome Mom you are truly you are amazing!

Bundy Family said...

Don't worry I cry when my children say the prayer in primary. Their sweet spirits remind me why we are to be like little children and the love our savior has for all of us.