Tuesday, April 27, 2010

You Know You're a Mother When. . .

The other day I was driving and found myself doing some rather funny things that have become completely normal due to motherhood. I was singing "wheels on the bus" while attempting to roll my hands and still control the steering wheel. I was pointing out funny things and even taking a longer route to our destination just so my kids could see some of their favorite local landmarks. I suddenly realized that as a Mom I've developed some interesting traits that may seem silly to others but become second nature as a mother simply because I love my children so much! I thought about it for a few moments and here are a handful of funny motherisms I came up with.

You Know You're a Mother When . . .

. . . You slow down in traffic because you notice a school bus coming up in your rear view mirror and you know how delighted your children will be to see it pass!
. . . You break your cookie in two because you know your children will be thrilled even if it means you don't get any!
. . . You stop walking to point out a plane in the sky and join you child in pointing at it until it is completely out of sight.
. . . You can't remember when you last had a full nights sleep with out a child crying in the night or climbing into bed with you half way through.
. . . You can't wait for your kids to go to bed and then can't wait to go up and peek at them sleeping!
. . . You always take two samples at Costco, one for each kid!
. . . You make animal sounds with every picture of an animal just so you can hear your son do them back at you (this applies in the privacy of home and shamelessly in public as well)!
. . . You take ten times longer to vaccuum a room because you have two little hands trying to help you push the vacuum.
. . . You sit with a blocked view so your child can sit on your lap and see.
. . . You have to mop and then re-mop the floor because your four year old really wants to help you and is so proud of all her hard work.
. . . You make sure your children always have a really good well balanced lunch but sometimes forget to feed yourself lunch!
. . . You start singing the clean up song as you clean the kitchen (even after the kids are in bed)!
. . . You have left a store before you've finished shopping so that your child will know you are serious when you say you'll follow through.
. . . Everyone is finished eating the meal you've prepared by the time you finally sit down to feed yourself!
. . . When your siblings come to visit you stay up way too late into the night talking because you are finally able to have an uninterrupted conversation together.
. . . You have learned to laugh about chocolate all over the face and nail polish on the floor rather than scream and cry!
 
Sweet Little Lydia covered in chocolate (6 months ago)!
 
Little Man Emmett (also 6 months ago) caught red handed, or in this case "pink footed!"
 
Just in case you were wondering, the best way to get fresh nail polish out of the carpet is Zout or Vinegar with warm water and scrub and scrub and scrub . . .
 
Emmett and Lydia are the best of friends and in case I've made you question, I really LOVE being a MOTHER!

6 comments:

Shelly said...

Your kids are just adorable. You're a great mom!

Telsha Winger & fam said...

That's great Cassie, I think I can relate to most of those. And I agree with Shelly you are an amazing mom! Thanks for your great example and thanks for the chuckles!

The Childs said...

I had to laugh at a lot of those things because I do find myself doing a lot of them. The others made me realize that I need to slow down and be a mom sometimes instead of completeing my list. Thanks for the list. Give me your email address again and I will let you know how to get those clothes off your hands. Sorry, being a mom, I forgot all about them until random times when it wasn't convientant to do something about it.

Rachel P said...

Motherhood is the best!!!! It can also be the worst at times, but the good FAR outweighs the bad. I miss you, my dear sweet friend! I look forward to your new blog posts.

Anonymous said...

You are the most selfless mother!! I look up to you Cassie in many many ways!

Jessica said...

love this post! I'm with you on all counts- I must be a mother!
Cason was caught pink-footed just last week;)