Dan came home from work today with a great big smile on his face and two little green boxes. At first sight you might think oh how sweet he brought home dinner. . . don't be fooled!
These little chicks are way too cute to eat and won't produce eggs for quite a while!
Yep! We are the official owners of 12 chicks who are super cute now but I keep reminding myself they will grow to be chickens! Dan keeps reminding (trying to persuade) me that one day when he comes in with a carton of eggs I will thank him. Hopefully I will feel that way someday but for now I am just going along for the ride and enjoying the joy it brings to him and the kids!
I'm not sure who was more excited, Dan or the kids! I thought it was pretty darn cute to see them all huddled in the downstairs bathroom with the heater going to keep the chicks all warm.
The kiddos loved petting their soft feathers and even Emmett almost got brave enough to hold one!
Lydia couldn't get enough of them and we had to peel her away to get her to come and eat her dinner. She's already given most of them names but I'll have to write them all down in order to keep them straight. Some of my favorites were, "Fuzz Buzz," "Jumparoo" (the fiesty little yellow gal who tried to jump out), "Squeaky" and "Geaser!"
Dan is up late tonight building a nice wooden box with a sliding wall so it can get bigger as the chicks get bigger. His brother Brock let him borrow a heat lamp so we won't have to run the heater all night or keep them in the bathroom! Luckily he and our brother-in-law Burke already started phase one of a rather impressive chicken coop in the back yard (I'll send pictures as soon as he gets the last two walls and the door on it). In a few more weeks when the chicks are bigger and the weather a little warmer we can turn them loose in their own coop!
. . . Oh wait he just finished the box . . . Here is a shot of their upgraded home!
10 comments:
What cute little chicks! I can't believe how long and dark Emmett's hair is! Not only Emmett, but DAN's hair is longer then I've ever seen it! I bet mom loves that. It has definitely been WAY too long since I've seen you! love you.
Those are really cute! If it wasn't for all the work they'll be I'd get some right now! Guess that will have to wait for us! Have fun!
How fun, we will have to let Skylee come and see them she would LOVE them. haha Lookes like you have your hands full with lots more little ones.
I can relate a little and I mean a little. just this past spring we hatched our own little chick but it was only one. it provided quite the entertainment but once it was roosting on the side of its bin we sent it to our friends home who have the coup. we knew we would only be owners for a few weeks and now are on a visitng basis. Good luck with your family of chicks and way to go in the family preparedness world. very impressive and fun. I'm trying to get the image of you going out to feed your chickens each day :)
How fun! My mom has a chicken coup with about 18 chickens. My kids love to help her take care of them everytime we visit! And fresh eggs taste WAY WAY better! You'll laugh when you first start getting eggs. They are tiny...like the miniature plastic eggs from easter size then they slowly get bigger and bigger as the chickens grow.
Your kids are darling. I love that lydia named them all. so fun!
Those little chicks were so cute, the pictures don't do them justice!!!
I miss having chickens. There are goods and bads to chickens, they are great natural pest control, and of course the eggs. But they poo wherever they want which can make for messy walking areas. Good luck!! :)
I am so jealous. I have wanted chickens forever but my wife is slightly (extremely) opposed to birds. Good luck with them.
Adam
Cassie, it was so fun to see you in Logan! I'm glad we got to catch up. Enjoy your chicks, looks like work to me. Your kids are darling!
They are really cute when they fit in a shoe box and then after that it is down hill!!! ha! My hubs learned as a kid that chickens were a rough trip so he is abliged to not go there with me...ha! Good luck Cassie, maybe some day Dan will realize that the eggs from the store are so much easier! Ha...love you guys!
Post a Comment