Anyone who has ever experienced an in-grown toenail knows what kind of Extreme PAIN I am talking about! If you have never had one it is a Pain I do not wish upon anyone.
I woke up @ 5:00am Friday to an intense throbbing pain in my toe. Sure enough it turns out to be an ingrown toenail. Of course just as I start trying to dig it out my sweet baby starts stirring. With tears welling up I ask Dan to go soothe Emmett. Dan quickly gets him back to sleep and joins me on the bathroom floor to coach me along. At this point I have part of it out but can't get the rest. Dan explains that the skin grows underneath your toenail and I'll have to cut back my toenail even more to get to it. If you have a weak stomach you can stop reading this. My stomach was also feeling weak as I looked at my toe and I began to break out in a major sweat. I started taking deep breaths and pep talking to myself, "Ok you can do this Cassie, it's not like you're pushing out a baby." I would bravely clip the nail and then pull it up with tweezers only to cry harder and become frustrated as the tweezers slipped. Dan took over for me and as if things couldn't get worse just then my sweet little Lydia woke up crying from a bad dream. She came up into our room and started crying even louder when she couldn't find us. We settled her down as she joined us in the bathroom. Now I had one foot in the air while Dan dug at my toenail and my other leg was supporting my poor little toddler as I held her and tried to rock her back to sleep with out screaming from pain. She decided she needed to go potty so I hurried and hefted her onto the toilet. Of course from this angle she had a great view of my toenail that was now half missing and nasty looking. So what does she do? She begins to Dry Heave and Dan leaves my foot to grab the tubby Tupperware (you know the little bowl we use to rinse off the baby when you're giving a bath) and gives it to Lydia to use as a barfy bowl! I honestly thought she was going to lose it and have never seen anyone dry heave so bad in my life! Of course all this excitement wakes Emmett back up to which Dan says, "Ok let me get Lydia in our bed and I'll go get the baby. I think I've got a good angle at the ingrown toenail, you'll just need to pull it out." He is such a wonderful husband! Long story short I finally get it out and my toe is now throbbing from pain due to half of my toenail missing! It is now 6:00am and my baby is hungry. I take some Tylenol, feed my baby and start out the day feeling sorry for myself because I can hardly walk! I guess the moral of this story is that we never realize how truly wonderful it is to have healthy toes until they're injured and we don't realize how much we rely on our toes until it is hard to use them. I'm thankful for Toes and hope I never have to experience pain like this again in order to remember how great toes truly are!
8 comments:
OUCH! I'm sorry Cassie- it sounds horrible (and gross) but really painful.
sorry about your crazy night. Try putting some antibiotic ointment on it and it should help it heal faster. Bacetracin (sp?) is a wonderful thing!
Yikes, what an awful experience! I'm sorry. I hope it heals fast!
Oh Cassie! I'm so sorry. That sounds like a crazy painful night. One you can look back on and laugh but not for awhile. Give it some time. You poor thing. If you need anything let me know. :)
I have been there. I feel your pain. Had to go to a podiatrist to have it cut out after Lauren was born. Maybe soak your toe in salts. That's what I remember doing. Best to you.
That is awful...I have had a few myself and they are so painful. Literally I feel your pain!
Cassie! Haha! I am so sorry! I know the pain to an extent! I have toenails with issues *all* the time because of extensive running! :) My most recent favorite happened over Christmas break. I was over at Emily Jensen's mom's house about to go on a run with Emily. However, the toenail needed to be removed before I went ... I was also sitting on the bathroom floor with Em coaching me. Down the hallway comes Dennis Ogilvie (Amber's hubby) and Em says, "Oh, good! Dennis can help you! He's a dentist!" Hahah, as if removing a toenail and a tooth are similar! :)
I am sooooo happy you survived this!! :)
oh my goodness cassie, this is terrible.... but so funny. one of those nightmares you'll look back on (years after the throbbing stops) and laugh. I mean, what are the chances all those things could go wrong at once.
Post a Comment