Friday, September 5, 2008

Smother Me With Love, but Please Let Me Breathe!

Lydia is not lacking when it comes to loving and thus no one in our household is either! Lately our little Miss Affectionate has been so sweet with spontaneous hugs and kisses and endearing "I LOOOVVEE YOU's" in her squeaky sincere little voice! This week she has been calling me "Honey" a lot. I remember the first time she called me Cassie instead of Mommy but I think hearing her call me Honey is even more funny! "Honey, just read me this book," or "It's Ok Honey, go get Emmett," or my favorite, "Thanks Honey, you're a nice person!" Her increased demonstrations of love are enjoyed by all of us but there is one member of our household who hasn't said much but seems a little concerned. Yes, poor little Emmett isn't able to say much about it but his expressions speak volumes! This is just one example of how much Lydia loves Emmett! She showers him with hugs, kisses and in this case toys! I had asked her to bring Emmett his little bear (he likes to hold on to it's ear) and like the big helper she is she did it. The next thing I know she's not only brought him his bear, but her blanket, more bears and even balls to play with. This next picture is a good example of how much she wants Emmett to play with her and be a part of everything. This little patient has more patience than you know! Luckily I don't have to get nervous about Lydia around Emmett. She is amazingly gentle and she really loves to help me with him. Last week he was sitting in his bouncer and Lydia was speaking gibberish while turning the pages of a picture book and then showing him each page up close (almost too close). When Dan and I asked her what she was doing she looked at us like "Isn't it obvious" and then said, "I'm reading Panish to Emmett." Yes, Panish means Spanish and for all she knew it was Spanish because it definitely wasn't English! Lydia really is the best big sister and just loves her brother more than I can describe. She is always telling me, "He's a cutie pie" and calling him her "little buddy!" I think Emmett often enjoys the attention because Lydia is good at making him smile. I'm sure he loves to be smothered with all of her love and affection, but once in a while he starts to fuss and by the look on his face he's begging for a little room to breathe!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Those pictures, and Emmett's face expressions, say it all. I haven't stopped laughing. I'll have to do a better job of documenting McKenna's little mothering techniques because I enjoyed every moment of looking at yours.

Karen and John said...

Lydia is such a great big sister. Although Emmett wont remember all of the love that he got from his sister when he was a baby, he is going to love those pictures when he is old enough to really appreciate such a great older sister.

McMurtrey said...

That is so cute!

Murphy Mania said...

LOVE Emmitt's face in the bear picture, (MOM- I can't believe you're taking a picture of this instead of saving me!)
When I got off the phone with you tonight Caleb was saying, "Looove Lela (Lydia) Looove Lela." We'll come visit and they can smother eachother with love instead of their defenseless little brothers.

Bundy Family said...

I'm laughing so hard at the picture of Emmit and all the toys. My girls do the same thing to their little brother. I'll walk in my room and find his stuffed animals smothering him. Aren't little children so affectionate. They just can't control themselves.