Good news should be shared and for me this news is better than just good! Little Man Emmett is officially Potty Trained! I had been debating on whether or not he was ready, or more so whether or not I was ready to confront the potty training! I have said it before and still stand by the fact that up to this point in my experience with child raising, potty training has been the hardest part of parenting! We briefly attempted to train Emmett when he turned two. For some crazy reason I had decided that since Lydia was potty trained before she was two it was now time for Emmett to be. It lasted 2 1/2 days before I realized that he was not yet ready and I was about to go crazy! Only after that did I then hear everyone say that boys usually potty train later than girls and most aren't ready until age 3.
Thus as I entertained the idea to potty train again I wondered if he was still too young. I know he won't be three until June but he has been showing incredible interest in using the potty and wearing big boy underwear (he actually used to call them panties because that is what we refer to sister's as but Dan put a quick stop to that insisting that we refer to them as "big boy underwear!"). He'd asked to sit on the potty a few times and even been successful so I had some hope to go on here. Alas I decided that Monday was the day. Monday morning we woke up and went to the store to buy a bunch of fun drinks and potty prizes. That afternoon after his nap the training officially began. Here's more or less how it has gone:
Monday: 3 successes, 1 accident (Mommy super excited and motivated)!
Tuesday: 3 successes, 2 accidents (Mommy staying opptimistic, Emmett loving his potty prizes)!
Wednesday: 3 successes, 3 accidents (Mommy feeling rather worn out but remembering that accidents are part of learning)!
Thursday: 1 success, 3 accidents (Daddy comes home and worries about Mama's sanity. Mom considers aborting project potty train, are these prizes not cool anymore?)
Friday: 5 successes, 0 accidents (Mommy elated and Emmett is getting it)!
Saturday:5 successes, 1 tiny accident (He even woke up dry! Mom & Dad were both super excited)!
Sunday: POTTY TRAINED!!!
So this morning I awoke to Emmett's darling little face at the side of my bed saying, "Mommy I need to go Potty!" He was once again dry and after I helped him onto the potty he went like a little champ! He has reached the joyous milestone of now telling us when he has to go rather than me having to ask him. He went #2 successfully a couple times before church but the real question/concern lay in whether or not he could make it through nursery with out either of us. Naturally I was paranoid and tried to get him to go before church started. Then I came back after Young Women's to check on him but he wasn't interested. His teacher said he'd told her that he needed to go but when he sat on the potty it was just gas to which he bust up laughing about and then said he was done! Later when we picked him up from nursery his teacher was excited and said that he had been fantastic! He simply told her when he needed to go and then did it! Three Cheers for Emmett!!! I know this may seem like such a silly thing to write about but it has honestly made me such a happy mother today! All day long when he'd come tell me he needed to go and then do it I felt like jumping for joy. What a milestone we've reached! My sanity is back and I am so grateful that he is out of diapers before baby sister comes along. Way to go Emmett! Thanks for making your mother smile!
3 comments:
Yay Emmett and Cassie!! You are amazing. Skylee is just now potty trained after like 6 months so you really are awesome. Way to hang in there!
Good job Cassie! And Emmett too of course. I have recently decided that the potty training process is more of a refiners fire for the parents to see how patient they can really be, rather than a challenge for the child. Seriously, one week? You train like a pro. Can I send Hyrum to you when it is time?
Oh my goodness, is that not the cutest little face?
Congrats! I have a three year old I'm working on...
Post a Comment