Sunday, July 26, 2009

Woofy the Fish!

Last night the children were asleep in bed and Dan and I were relaxing in front of a movie when suddenly the door bell rang. We paused the movie and Dan went to answer the door. When he opened it there was no one there, only a crystal light can filled with water and a tiny baby gold fish. We assumed it had been left by the funny group of young neighbor boys who spend their summer nights out playing night games around the neighborhood (we later learned it was actually a group of funny neighborhood girls who were just bored)!

Dan put the poor gold fish into a little bowl and filled the bottom of the bowl with lovely little rocks (so thoughtful)! In the morning Lydia was ecstatic to now be the proud owner of her very own gold fish. I realized this was the first pet she'd ever had (besides the Lady bugs she put in a jar earlier this summer and managed to keep alive for a week)! She tried to feed him some of her cereal at breakfast! After I scooped it out I reassured her that we will go to the pet store first thing tomorrow morning and buy it some fish food. For the meantime, we sprinkled some crushed crackers in the bowl and shredded tiny bits of celery leaves. Hopefully he won't starve or be poisoned by our attempts before morning!

The best part about having a fish for a pet is seeing how much Lydia loves it. We asked her to name it and the name she picked was "Woofy!"
 

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

how sweet. You'll have to let us know how long he lasts...my kids have been asking for one too. Lydia looks so darling and all grown up.

Chixon said...

hopefully he lasts longer than my goldfish "mr mustache". If he doesn't I have a nice eulogy you can use at his funeral.

Anonymous said...

Really cute! The neighborhood girls don't even know the excited they have brought to Lydia! I hope the Goldfish last a little while.