Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Adventures of Woofy: Woofy meets Dog Dog!

Hooray! Woofy made it through the weekend alive! So Monday night we went on an outing to buy fish food. Lydia and I dropped Dan and Emmett at Sportsman's Warehouse while we went across the street to buy the fishy food. Lydia also coaxed me into buying a ridiculous little florescent cave so that Woofy would have something to swim around in. When we went to pick up the boys they were outside the store petting the most ADORABLE little puppies. They were cute little hound dogs with big floppy ears and were so sweet and gentle. Lydia and Emmett were petting and poking them (Emmett really loved their little tails) and they didn't seem to mind. Actually I think most of them were sleeping through it but they were sure sweet(or as Lydia would say "so dawhling!"). Dan finally said we had to go because the more we sat there the more he wanted one. We got in the car and he looked at me with the face a little boy makes for his Mommy when begging for a dog!

We started to drive away and suddenly I said, "Honey if you really, really want one of those puppies you can go back and get it!" I said it but after I did I couldn't believe that those words had come out of my mouth. Even weirder was that I wasn't taking them back. I mean I would love to have a pet dog someday but I have always said I wanted to wait until the kids are older so they can take care of it and I'm not the one stuck caring for it all the time. I also insist that it be an outside dog. I have been firm in my stipulations so I was shocked to hear myself actually willing to have a puppy right now. Long story short we drove a little ways and then pulled over and talked about whether or not it was a good idea for at least fifteen minutes. The kids were getting restless in the back seat so we started to drive again and only pulled over once more to discuss before finally heading home without a puppy. We figured this was a big thing to get into and we should probably read up on how to care for and train a puppy before we actually get one. We also thought it would be wise to wait until we build a dog run and not do it during the summer when we'll be on vacations and such. We spent the rest of the night thinking about it and Dan spent most of the next day researching the best kind of dogs etc...

The kids and I thought about it a bit more the next day too and when we went to Sue's Pet Castle to buy a bigger fish bowl(the florescent cave wouldn't fit in the tiny bowl) we decided to surprise Daddy with his own pet! We bought him a fan tailed gold fish that was four times the size of Woofy!
 
When we got home Lydia put the fish in their new home and decided to name Daddy's new fish herself. "Um, I think Dog Dog would be a great name for this fish!" Dog Dog? Really she came up with this all on her own and her Daddy hadn't even prompted her! Do you think they're trying to tell me something? So "Dog Dog" it is!
 
When Dog Dog first entered the bowl Woofy hid inside the cave and we assumed he must be either shy or scared. Luckily Lydia informed me that they were swimming together a few minutes later and she thinks they must be friends now! Woofy meet your new friend Dog Dog!
 
Lydia spent much of her afternoon watching, talking to and feeding her fish. She recognizes size to food ratio and after sprinkling in the fish flakes said,"Now Dog Dog don't eat all the food you have to save some for Woofy!" Lydia isn't the only one who loves her new pets. After Emmett's nap I put him in the chair to look at the fish while I got him a drink. Literally in less than five seconds I hear him jabbering at the top of his lungs and turn around to see this!
 
He was so excited and pointing at the fish. I'm sure he was saying something like, "Here Fishy Fishy!" He just kept pointing and squawking and although he's not allowed on the table I let him sit there enjoying the fish just long enough for me to take a few pictures!
 
The fish were clearly the focus and entertainment of our day. Lydia even asked if we could make some fish cookies. So thanks to my friend Catherine (she's the cookie cutter queen) we were able to borrow a fish cookie cutter and made some very delicious gold fish sugar cookies. We even took some to the funny neighbor girls who gave us Woofy to thank them for providing Lydia with her first pet! Before Lydia went to bed she climbed up on the chair and said good night to Woofy and Dog Dog. She reminded them that it was now bed time and not play time and told them to sleep tight! She is a great pet owner . . . maybe I should start considering a puppy!

3 comments:

mama cow said...

I would so already have a dog if I had a husband who wanted a dog! It is funny because Jeff is the one who wants it to be outdoors and what not. The other thing stopping me would be the crazy itchy hives I seem to break out in with most dogs. We have found that rabbits make excellent starter furry friends. So when you are ready for the next step you should look into a rabbit.

Telsha Winger & fam said...

haha that was a great story Cassie. I know what you mean about the puppy. Jeff wants one so bad but he wants a black lab and there is no way we could have a lab with our tiny little house and yard. So we have to wait. I love the names Lydia chose Woofy and Dog Dog. That's awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

What a cute little boy Emmett has become! I cna't believe that he is now one year old. Time has gone so fast!