Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hitting the Slopes!

A week ago Friday we made a quick trip up to Logan so that we could go skiing on Saturday and see my parents. I hadn't been skiing for about four years because I was pregnant with Lydia then we moved to PA and then last year I was pregnant with Emmett! I was so excited but also a little bit nervous about whether or not I'd be any good.

It turned out to be the GREATEST SKI DAY EVER! My Dad drove Dan and I and my little sister Emily up to Beaver Mountain early Saturday morning. Dan and I rented our boots and skiis and didn't really have to wait in line (not like the crazy middle school ski days where you're waiting in line for 45 minutes with a hundred other kids)! I have to say High Five for Beaver Mountain because they gave me the most comfortable ski boots I've ever worn and my skis even had cute flowers on them! Lydia would have loved the pink flowers! Yes, I was such a mom and couldn't stop thinking of my kids all day, but that didn't stop me from having the Greatest Ski Day Ever!

The snow was Perfect! The weather was Perfect! The scenery was Perfect! The company was Perfect! When we had first arrived it was rather chilly and I remember fearing that it would be too cold to enjoy but I was gratefully wrong and once the sun came up I stayed warm and just right the entire day. My first few runs I looked rather cautious and even resorted to a snow plow once! But by the third run I had it back and felt like I was back in the groove like I had been in my highschool glory days! It was great to hit some harder runs with my Dad and Em and fun to ski with my husband.

I'd say skiing with Dan was the highlight of the day. It was so fun riding up the lifts with just the two of us and we realized that the last time we'd done this was before we had any kids! Dan really impressed me with how good of a skiier he's become. This was only his fourth time ever skiing and the last time I went with him was for his very first time ever. I couldn't believe how much he's improved. He sure ripped up the mountain and his form looked awesome. Of course just after I told him this we went on one of our last runs for the day and by some crazy chance half way down the mountain he had a weird topple and one of his ski's fell off. Unfortunately I had just taken off ahead and didn't notice his ski pass me to the side. Dan tried the whole "Better off Dead" movie move skiing the K12 on one ski but he said it was too hard so he ended up walking down half the mountain until he got to his ski. Poor Sweetheart! It did give us all a good laugh when he got to the bottom! It was really nice to have a long extended day date but it flew by way too fast and has left us longing for more.
 
Posted by Picasa
We owe a Giagantic Thank You to my Mumsie for babysitting the kids for us. Not only did she provide us with a much needed ski getaway but the kids had a great time too. Lydia is still talking about the fort she built with uncle Gabe, the frog puppet and the Valentine mailbox craft Grandma had for her! She also raves about going sledding with Grandma, Grandpa and Daddy after we got back from skiing. Talk about a perfect weekend. We just wish we could have stayed longer! Thanks again Mumsie and Papa Bush for an unforgettable weekend visit!

1 comment:

Marinda said...

Sounds delightful, I'm so glad you were able to go!