Sunday, December 14, 2008

Take TIME

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the importance of listening. Listening to what others are really saying and taking the time to stop and listen to ourselves. Why do we sometimes say what we say? I think it is because we speak before we think. I fear that I am often guilty of listening while at the same time thinking of what I want to hurry and say next rather than just actively listening. I want to be sincere in my conversations but this tendency causes me to interrupt. Interrupting causes me to feel frustrated with myself and I fear it may appear as insincere to others. Hopefully I'm not the only one who feels this way or sometimes finds myself struggling in this arena so I thought I'd share what I have concluded.

It is essential to take TIME to think before you speak. So here is the little acronym I came up with. Before you speak take the TIME to ask yourself:
T= is it True?
I= is it Important?
M= is it Meaningful?
E= what Effect will it have?

It is amazing the power our words really have. Once said they can not be taken back. Whether uplifting, degrading, insightful or gossip, they are powerful but they are also ours. Since I have been more actively aware of thinking before I speak I have noticed the power I have over deciding what I do and don't say. Sometimes I have a really cool comment but the time is not appropriate and simply refraining from saying what I'm thinking has been wise. Other times I have recognized a need to say something and felt happy I shared it. I think I want to be remembered as one who used her words for good. Thus starting today I am going to make a greater effort to think before I speak and think about what I say. Better yet I think I will say less and listen more!

12 comments:

McMurtrey said...

Wow! I really need to do this also! I feel like I talk to much and don't listen or think before words come out! I really need to be more careful and listen a lot more.

Mutt and Karlee Hall said...

It is seriously so weird that just 2 days ago I was thinking along these same lines...because I tend to do this too (even though I've never noticed that you do)! Thanks for the reminder.

Krista said...

That was great! Just what I needed to hear! Just today Trey was saying something to me and instead of letting him finish (because sometimes it takes him forever to spit it out) I just finished his sentence for him. Sometimes I think that by doing that I am letting the other person know that I understand what they are saying but you are totally right. I need to be a better and more active listener. Well said!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post Cassie. I love your "TIME" that you came up with. I too need to think before I speak. Infact I'm sure we all do. Thanks Again!

Seth & Mel said...

We recieved your Chiristmas card today in the mail, thanks. But I would like to see a picture of Dan's new red bicycle that you mention in the letter/poem.

Thanks

Seth

Seth & Mel said...

Where is the picture of dan's bike

Seth & Mel said...

Picture of Bike Please

Seth & Mel said...

i got your response, but i am going to keep posting comments everyday until i see a picture

Seth & Mel said...

bike??

Seth & Mel said...

Snow shouldn'r get in the way of riding? Com on you are in St. george, the snow is probably melted by 1100 am. Where is the picture?

Seth & Mel said...

Merry Christmas! Where is the bike picture

Seth & Mel said...

Cassie,

Seriously, how was your christmas? We tried to call you guys but I think we have the wrong phone number. Anyway I hopr to see a bike picture in the future