Merry Christmas 2008 and indeed it was Merry! Emmett was the early bird Christmas morning and was up at 7:30am. Lucky for me my wonderful husband offered to get up with him and I was ever grateful because I had stayed up way too late working on my present to Emily (a cookbook). It turned out that letting Lydia stay up late watching a movie on Christmas Eve wasn't such a bad thing after all. She slept in until almost 9:30am! Wahoo, that means so did I! This year we decided to follow a tradition that Dan's family did as kids. Instead of having their stockings downstairs by the tree with all of the other presents, "Santa" would come put their stockings on the end of their beds in the night. Lydia loved this! I was laying in my bed when suddenly I heard a Gasp, Giggle of Excitement and then Lydia's little feet running into my bedroom and her saying, "Mama Santa Came, Santa Came!" She climbed up in my bed and began going through her stocking. It was fantastic to see her so elated over crayons in a princess pencil case and a My Little Pony notepad. She was giddy over every treat and surprise that came out of that stocking and she sat there enjoying them in our bed for a long time. Soon Daddy and Emmett came up to see the surprise and of course we all watched Emmett go through his stocking including a book and baby food! Finally, after about thirty minutes of stocking joy, we went downstairs and saw the Christmas tree.
Our presents for each other were all wrapped but our presents from Santa were just laying out in front of the tree. Lydia saw her baby doll set and fell in love. She would have been fine without anything else. Although she really did love the rocking chairs that her daddy made for her and Emmett! Dan worked very hard and cut, and sanded, built and painted two rocking chairs for the kids. They absolutely loved them (as does every little kid that comes over to our house)! However, I think I was the most excited of everyone with my Christmas surprise! Yep! That's right, Dan spoiled me with a gorgeous GUITAR! He said that he knows since we've had kids I don't really take much time for myself anymore. He knew that I loved playing the guitar and haven't for a long time so he bought me this beautiful guitar and said I had to take at least a few minutes every day and play for me! Ok, twist my arm!
I love this picture of Dan looking so pleased while watching me "freak out" over the gift he gave me. I honestly was so surprised and had no idea. You have to understand that a few months ago we bought gates for our house and said that they were our Christmas presents for each other. We thought it would be fun to have something under the tree for each other and gave ourselves a $25.00 limit. So yes, I was obedient and stuck to the limit buying Dan a book. He on the other hand, totally cheated and spent way too much. He justified it by saying that he only spent $25 and that Lydia and Emmett paid for the rest(I'm still trying to figure out where they came up with it)! Dan however did manage to find reasons to buy a leaf blower, saw and sander (for the rocking chairs)and back pack this month so he put those under the tree and pretended to be real excited about them! The kids had fun opening presents and Emmett liked the bubble wrap and wrapping paper best of all. Lydia played with each gift for a while before she'd open another one. In fact she lost interest with opening new ones and started playing with her new baby doll again. I noticed that she still had a gift from me under the tree but decided to just leave it there. When it was still sitting under the tree un-noticed and untouched the next day I decided to just save it for her birthday in six weeks! Here she is with her new dolly, loving that her clothes are pink (her favorite color) and rocking in her new chair from daddy!


1 comment:
Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing day!
Post a Comment