Monday, February 28, 2011

Oh Happy Day!

Today I woke up with an awful cold and felt terrible!
This afternoon I checked my email and finally received word from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf regarding the NIC exam that I took back in November. I felt anxiety! When I opened it I read the following words:

"Congratulations! We are very pleased to inform you that you have passed the NAD-RID National Interpreter Certification interview and performance test."

Oh Happy Day! I am now feeling giddy, relief and a sense of accomplishment! To some of you this may not seem like a big deal but to me this is Huge! It means that I have proven to be a professional-level singed language interpreter! Five years ago I graduated from the University of New Mexico with my bachelors degree in SLI and I took the national written exam (you must pass this before you take the performance exam). Since then I have spent the past four years gaining experience, becoming state certified and even teaching ASL all in pursuit of being prepared enough to take and pass this test. Besides the fact that I spent a whopping $400.00 to take the test and couldn't afford to not pass, I have finally reached a major goal that I set five years ago! I am thrilled!

When I read the letter I ran out and told my kids the good news, to which Lydia replied, "So you won a race!" No, not exactly. I tried to explain that I had passed a really difficult test and was now certified. "So you took first place? Do you get a medal?" I just laughed and said that I wasn't competing against anyone but myself but this good news meant that I do a pretty good job interpreting and it also meant that rather than having to keep taking tests every few years I could just maintain my certification and focus on being home with my kiddos! I told them it allowed me to be a better mommy since they are my most important priority! Luckily Dan's response was much more exciting and he was so proud of me! Then I called my dear friend Telsha who was equally thrilled for me and understands this interpreting journey!

Right now I feel Happy!

4 comments:

Telsha Winger & fam said...

Oh Cass!! I know I already told you but still SO super excited for you. You have worked SUPER hard for this and I am so proud of you. It is an AMAZING accomplishment. I knew you would the whole time but just waited for the actual letter to jump for joy. Let me know when you want to CELEBRATE!

Shelly said...

YEAH! Congrats!

Jessica said...

AWESOME!

Kyle/Michelle said...

Woo hoo!!!