I took the time to post about Lydia's birthday party but I wanted to take a moment to expound on the joy she is in our home and the fun it is to have a three year old. For Lydia's birthday dinner I told her she could have anything she wanted. Her requests were for Tuna fish sandwiches or Macaroni and Cheese! Boy they sure are easy to please at this age. Lydia was also excited all day about the pink "tabloons" (balloons)! Although it is hard for me to believe that she is three years old, I am actually really glad she is three. To me, Three is Terrific! People often label ages, like the "Terrible Two's," which by the way I disagree with. I think they should be called the "Trying Two's." Although they are difficult they are not terrible. I think age two is very trying but also a very fun and entertaining age. So far age three seems Terrific! Yes, like most three year old little girls there are more emotions and "drama queen" episodes (really I thought that was supposed to come when they turn thirteen, not three)but there are also delightful discoveries, sincere inquires, tender expressions of love and massive creativity!
Lydia's personality is in full bloom. She is all GIRL; loves Pink, Princesses, Tea Parties, Baby Dolls, Dancing, Singing, wearing dresses and bows in her hair! But she is also very adventurous and curious enjoying activities like bike riding, roller skating, tree climbing (or tree attempting), playing at playgrounds, in the sandbox and dirt and meeting new animals. She has recently developed a massive interest in art and art projects. She is constantly asking if she can make a craft and coming up with some very creative creations. Her favorites are using paints, glue and stamps!
Lydia is our big Helper! She is so independent and yet always wants you by her side. She is overflowing with compassion yet still likes to label things as her "specials" so she won't have to share them. She can sense when someone is in need and will often volunteer to help before you even ask her to. Yet, sometimes she is more help than you can handle, as is often the case with her little brother who will cry out for us to save him from all of her "Helping!" She loves to help do the dishes and clean the house. It is fun to have her work by my side but occasionally it takes me twice as long to get things done due to all the "help!" It would often be so much easier and more efficient to do things on my own but when she so sweetly and sincerely offers I don't have the heart to say "no!" I guess she is learning to love to work. Here she is helping with the dishes! She recently started her first chore which is helping to unload the silverware into the appropriate places while I unload the dishwasher. I can hardly wait until she is big enough to do all the dishes. Doing dishes is one of mine and Dan's least favorite things to do. How ironic that it is one of her favorites!
Lydia's compassion and sincerity are so sweet and admirable. She seems really in tune with others. For instance, our neighbors are trying to sell their home and their very aged grandfather comes over daily to help fix up the house and keep the yard looking nice. He walks hunched over slowly with a limp. Whenever Lydia sees him she comments, "Mom he looks so sad." I once attributed it to that he might be lonely with his family gone so far way. She now always says, "Mom, there is our poor, lonely, sad neighbor. We should smile at him so he will be happy!" Her good example has motivated us to stop and talk with him often. Now Bill is our friend! Last week she even suggested that we share some of the oranges we brought back from Grandma's house with him. She helped me pick them out and put them in a bag for him. He was very grateful and on our way back to the house she said, "Mom, I so happy. Now our lonely neighbor won't be sad because he has oranges!" She said it so loud that I know he heard it and I think I saw him crack a smile!
Age Three is terrific because they are so honest and inquisitive. Yes honest, inquisitive and loud! It is a common occurance for us to be at a store and have Lydia ask in a voice far from quiet, "Why is that man walk so funny?" or "He has a big nose!" My favorite is, "Mom, why she not smile today?" We're working on the whisper! Although there are obvious challenges from having a child who speaks exactly what she is thinking, there are also great blessings that come from such. One example is being a part of her heartfelt prayers. The following is a direct quote from one of Lydia's prayers, "We thank Thee for monkey's and animals, Santa, polka dots, towels, books, Mommy, Daddy and Emmett. Thank thee for snow, fruit snacks, pig tails and please bless Grandma and Grandpa. . ." She really is thankful for all of these things and she reminds me to be grateful for the little things. One of those little things I am thankful for is to be the mother of a three year old!


5 comments:
Wow,I can't believe she is already three! It seems like just yesterday that you told me that you were pregnant with her. I'm glad her threes started off well. I wish it had been the same with the boys! ;-) I miss you guys!
It is so fun to hear your point of view! You are such a great mom! Your kids are adorable! I am excited that you are teaching! That is a big accomplishment! Hope all is well! Love from provo
I agree 3 is terrific and it just keeps getting better but also shorter. I loved reading all you had to say and it sending me down memory lane a little. I wish Ky could go back to 3. She is great now but is also now dropped off at parties, friends houses, pre-school and I feel like my time is already limited. Give her a big hug and enjoy "3" like you are!!!!! miss you guys!!!!
Lydia is pretty AMAZING.
wow she so big we really need to get together- natalie jensen
Post a Comment