Why you might ask? Why, is my subject line Why? WHY is a very good question and a popular one among three year olds. My little Lydia has recently developed a fondness for the question Why and as a result I am the lucky recipient of the question Why on average of about two hundred and twenty nine times a day! You would think hearing this question so much could make you crazy but instead it makes me laugh. I love seeing her little face with it's sincere curiosity as she makes her inquires. She is also rather bright and rather than just say Why over and over she will often rotate it with saying something like, "Mom what you mean by ___?" or "Mom what you do that for?" All of her wondering Why has caused me to stop and think before I just answer her.
I think she's rubbing off on me and today I found myself in a moment of self pity saying WHY? WHY? WHY?! Why is it that I have to be sick at the same time that my children are? Why couldn't I be healthy while they're sick so I'd have more energy to nurse them back to health? Why is it so painful to watch your six month old baby cry? Why do we have to be so helpless when a baby has a fever and is sobbing in pain because of his own helplessness. Why do I start having a coughing attack just at the moment that my baby falls asleep in my arms after being awake half the night? Why do my babies get sick the same weekend that my husband has to go on the Scout Klondike (Why in the world would boy scouts be crazy enough to go sleep outside in the middle of the winter?)and Why of all weekends would our garage door choose this weekend to crash down and break?
I'll spare you a full account of all the Whys! However I will share with you the humbling realization that comes after the Why. It is the BECAUSE! Why do we have to get sick? Because it makes us appreciate all the times that we are healthy! Why do I have to be sick while my kids are sick? Because I am more empathetic! Why is it so painful to see your baby cry? Because it makes you realize how much you love them. Why is it so hard to see them sick and feel helpless? Because it turns you to your knees in fervent prayer for their recovery. Why do we all have to be sick the same weekend my husband is out of town on the Klondike? Because you will discover that you married the most amazing man in the world and that he loves you so much, because he will drive all the way up the mountain to the Klondike to drop off the things he was responsible for bringing. Then he will find someone to take over the activity he was in charge of for the next morning and then he will surprise you and will turn around and drive all the way back home because he just doesn't want to leave you alone with sick kids at night when he knows you're not feeling well! That's right my husband is the most remarkable husband in the world! And as for my garage door breaking I'm not really sure. Maybe it is because the man who had to come fix really needed some work?!
Regardless I am thankful for all of the Because's in life and hope that my daughter will soon learn to say Because after her Why's!
6 comments:
It seems that every time I look at your blog you inspire me somehow! I always need to be reminded of things and this one helped me to remember the 'Becauses'! We miss you guys. I love how big & stinking cute your kids are. They look like so much fun- I'm sure especially when they are healthy!!
Hey Cass, LOOOONG time lost friend! I linked to your blog from Mandy's! It felt so good to see you doing amazingly well with a beautiful family! You guys look great! Your kids are, of course darling! I never seem to be able to find out much about you and what is going on, so I am happy, to say the least! I hope that we can keep in touch to some extent! You look SO GOOD! Much love to you. Great post by the way! All too often I ask why and don't seek to find the answer. Maybe that is why I feel like I beat my head against the wall sometimes!
I would love to get together with you guys this weekend. That would be a blast! We would love to have you over, or we could come to where ever you are! That would be so much fun! Please, please, please call me. I hope you guys are all feeling better!
Hey Cassie! I found your blog through Telsha's. Im sorry to hear about your garage door and being sick :( no fun. Hopefully you are feeling better by now. See you around!!
Man, I wish Aaron was more like Dan! You are so lucky! I hope all of you feel better soon!
I hope you're feeling better now! My "because" is so you can know what a strong woman YOU are. Dan is great and all :) but you are strong enough too. Not that we ever want to do it alone, but you can. Anyway, that is the lesson I've learned again and again everytime Elijah is gone. And each time it gets easier, so I must be getting stronger. As I'm sure you are as well. Sure love you. I wish I were there to help when you're feeling under the weather. Some day, huh!
Post a Comment