“Tonight, I want to tell you the story of an empty stocking. Once upon a midnight clear there was a child's cry. A blazing star hung over a stable, and Wise Men came with birthday gifts. We haven't forgotten that night down through the ages. We celebrate it with a star hung on a Christmas tree, and a cry of bells, and gifts; especially with gifts. We bind them and wrap them, and we put them under the tree. You give me a tie, I give you a book, Aunt Martha always wanted an orange squeezer, Uncle Harry could use a new pipe; oh, we haven't forgotten anyone, adult or child. All the stockings are filled, all that is, except one, and we have forgotten even to hang it up! The stocking for the child born in a manger. It's His birthday we are celebrating, you know. Don't let us ever forget that. Let us ask ourselves what He would wish for most, and then let each of us put in his share - loving kindness, warm hearts, and an out-stretched hand - all the shining gifts that make peace on earth.” (quoted from the movie The Bishop’s Wife)
This year we started a new tradition. We hung a stocking for the Savior (the white one on the end with green trim)and during the entire month of December we would write down acts of love and service that we did or were done for us. Then we would fold up the pieces of paper and put them in the stocking. This was by far the best gifts given this Christmas. After our scrumptous Christmas dinner we sat around the fire and took turns reading the gifts that were given to our Savior. It was a nice way to end the day thinking about Him whom we were celebrating!
One of my favorite things about Christmas is all the fun family traditions we make and keep. I already mentioned a few we're starting in other posts, like Christmas Eve pajamas, stockings on the beds, watching Christmas movies and I think we may need to make lobster dinner a tradition! Others we love is putting up the tree as a family, letting the kids plug in the lights for the first time and providing a secret santa dinner and gifts for a family in need. Reading the nativity is also one of my favorite traditions and I'd like to borrow a tradition I heard about this year. It is something a family in our ward does. They don't put any presents under the tree until Christmas Eve and instead they just have a nativity under the tree. I love that idea. It would help you and your kids to focus all month on what the holiday is really about.
One of my favorite traditions is one that we had as kids when we'd get a new Christmas ornament each year. We've carried that tradition over into our family and try to pick an ornament that reflects our past year. We have a hot air balloon from when we were in Albuquerque, Hershey kisses from Hershey, PA, and this year a gingerbread house representing that we bought our first home. This year also marks Lydia's third Christmas so we went to pick out her third ornament. Her first one is a baby's first Christmas ornament, last years was Santa on a surfboard from our trip to Hawaii and as we were looking for this years I suggested a cute little tricyle since she learned to ride one this year. At the same moment Lydia said, "Oooo I want this one!" No, she wasn't pointing at the bike, it was a hot pink cowgirl boot! Wow, I thought ok let's keep looking so I showed her a few different ornaments that were much cuter! I suggested another bike and even a ballerina dancer but no, she really wanted that bright pink boot. I finally decided hey, why not, it's her ornament. I guess we'll look back and always remember that this is what she wanted when she was almost three! Dan thought it was hillarious and just requested we hang it near the back of the tree! No matter where you put it sure does stand out!

1 comment:
I love that stocking tradition. Will you post this again close to Christmas again so I don't forget. I would love to start that! Christmas looked like fun!
Post a Comment