Friday, October 10, 2008

Life with Emmett is Easy going and Ever Enjoyable!

Emmett is such a smiler these days and will ham it up for just about anyone. He has the cutest giggle and it is clearly a "boy" laugh! Looking at himself in the mirror is becoming a new favorite activity and he will explore looking at himself, smiling, cooing and even frowning at his new found friend! His favorite way to look in the mirror is when we do it with him and make faces at him. He is such a cuddle bug and loves to snuggle in my neck while holding my hair. He prefers to snuggle on Dan's chest rather than neck because those daddy whiskers just make him cry! Although he has outgrown the newborn stage I am loving this 3 month baby stage. He has established a great schedule and sleeps like a champ. He sleeps 8 - 9 hours at night and during the day takes 2 two hour naps with a couple shorter naps in the evening. He really only cries if hungry, tired or poopy, but if he does cry there is no ignoring it. When Lydia was this age she would wimper a little and then work her way up to a loud cry but no, not Emmett. This boy knows what he wants and he goes straight to the intense siren to let you know it! He loves his big sister and they really seem to enjoy playing together. Well I guess it's more like Lydia plays and Emmett watches her in amusement and smiles as she puts things in his hand for him to hold! She loves singing him Lullabies and has actually sung him to sleep once or twice. Often when driving in the car I can look back and see the two of them sitting in their car seats holding hands. Aww, that does a mother's heart good! Emmett has rolled a couple times but hasn't really taken to rolling yet and prefers putting his feet up to his hands and rocking or just arching his back to move across his crib or around his play mat. It is so much fun to watch him explore and discover his hands and feet. They must have a delicious taste to them because he prefers them in his mouth! I love new life and the wonder of everything around them. Watching my baby explore and grow is one of the greatest parts of motherhood and then there is that once in a while squeeze where they grip and hug you so tight, then look into your eyes with utter love and it makes everything else worth it!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Aww- I love posts that remind me of the reasons I LOVE being a mother. Thanks!

Karen and John said...

Those are the cutest stories about Lydia and Emmett (and I totally understand about 2 1/2 with girls). Thanks so much for sharing! It really is fun to see little minds grow.

jenn said...

Emmett is exceptional! We loved having him here with us last night. He was so sweet, and interested in what was going on around him, but as soon as the lights were turned out, his eyelids drooped and he was asleep within minutes, with barely a sound. I couldn't believe how easy he was to tend. :)

Anytime you want a date night, Cassie, let me know! We'd love to have your delightful children over. Anytime.

Bundy Family said...

Emmett is so adorable. I love his smile. Thanks for the advice on Book Wise I too tried it out on Kyler and he has been amazing. We need to get together some time.

Cheryl said...

He has a great smile! I wish those hugs would last forever or that you could store one in a box and pull it out when needed. Glad you guys are doing great!

jenbailey622@gmail.com said...

Emmett is ADORABLE! I love the blanket-stuffed animal picture idea for a great growth chart.
On an unrelated note-everytime I go to the pharmacy I think of your family (because Dan is a pharmacist) and wonder how things are going. For that matter, everytime I see someone doing sign language I think of you guys as well...but seeing sign language is a little more rare.

Elggren Clan said...

Cassie & Dan, it was SO GREAT to see you guys briefly at church last week!! You have just a beautiful family, "little" Emmett is a charmer for sure. You did a great job with the sign language for the primary program Cas, it was really touching. It must have taken a LOT of work to teach those kids ALL of the verses.
HUGS